What is male infertility?
Male infertility is any condition in which a man is unable to get their female partner pregnant after trying to conceive for a year.
So it is advisable for men who have fertility concerns to never hesitate in speaking with a Urologist in Lahore and discussing their concerns.
What are the symptoms of male infertility?
There may be no physical symptoms of male infertility. Men who are infertile usually don’t have any difficulty in performing sexual activities or ejaculating. Their semen also appears to be completely normal.
However if you’re having unprotected sex twice a week and you have been trying to conceive for a period of 12 months but you haven’t conceived then this may be a sign of infertility.
What are the causes of male infertility?
There may be many causes for infertility in men but diagnosing the causes of infertility in males can be difficult. As these causes may range from health and diseases to dietary contaminants.
Some of the most common causes of male infertility are:
- low sperm count
- sperm motility
- erectile dysfunction
- blockages in tubes
- low levels of hormones
- male infertility can be genetic too
How can infertility in men be diagnosed?
Urologists usually conduct a session where they assess the patient, take their medical history and conduct a physical examination along with semen analysis. This is done to check the quantity, quality, shape and movement of the sperm.
Blood samples are also collected to check hormone levels that control sperm production in your body. Blood tests can also tell if infertility is in your genes or not.
A urine test may also be conducted to see if there is any sperm in your urine, this will help diagnose if you have retrograde ejaculation or not.
In severe cases doctors recommend MRIs, ultrasounds and testicular biopsies for diagnosis.
How can male infertility be treated?
Male infertility can be treated with the help of following procedures:
Assissted Reproductive Technology (ART): For Assisted Reproductive Technology sperm is obtained either from a donor or a male partner and artificially inseminated into the female partner’s genital area. This is done either to perform in vitro fertilization or intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
Surgery: There are many different types of surgeries that can help in conception. For example: there is a surgery which can repair obstructed tubes, a surgery can fix a varicocele and vasectomies can also be reversed with the help of surgeries.
In cases where no sperm is found in ejaculation, sperms can be retrieved from testicles with the help of a surgery.
Hormonal treatments: If infertility is caused by high or low levels of testosterone, urologists recommend hormone replacement procedures and medications to balance these levels and treat infertility.
Treating infections: In some cases infections in the reproductive tract might also become an obstacle in conception so an antibiotic treatment might help in restoring fertility.
Treatment through counselling: Not all cases require medical treatments, some might require words of wisdom too. So visiting a certified sexologist and getting their advice on the matter can also help couples in getting pregnant.
What are some ways to increase fertility in men?
Here are some science backed methods that can help improve fertility in men:
- Start taking D-aspartic acid supplements, they promote an increase in the testosterone levels in males bodies. Higher levels of testosterone are essential for fertility in men.
- Take vitamin C supplements to improve semen quality.
- Vitamin D is really important for male and female fertility. So get your vitamin D levels tested and if they come out low start taking supplements according to the prescription of a Urologist in Karachi.
- Stay relaxed and don’t let stress take a toll on your sexual life. Researchers believe that stress may be responsible for impairing your fertility and reducing your sexual satisfaction.
- Exercise regularly, exercising will boost testosterone levels in the body and improve fertility. Various studies have proved that active men’s semen quality is better than inactive men.
- Start taking Tribulus terrestris 6 grams twice daily. Tribulus terrestris is a medicinal herb, studies show that it improves male fertility by enhancing libido promoting effects of testosterone.
- Take 500mg fenugreek extract daily to improve sexual performance and strength. Fenugreek supplements also help treat erectile dysfunction.
- Eat a diet that is rich in zinc and if that’s not possible start taking zinc supplements. Zinc helps by improving sperm count and testosterone levels.
- Consider taking ashwagandha (an ancient indian medicinal herb). Studies prove that an intake of 675 mg of ashwagandha extract daily for three months can bring a significant change in male fertility.
- Maca root is also recommended to enhance libido and sexual performance in men. If 1.75 grams of maca root is taken daily for three months it can help improve sperm count and motility.