If you’re like most people, the thought of getting a massage is a pleasant one. But what if I told you that there was a type of massage that could not only make you feel good but could also have significant health benefits? That massage is called manual lymphatic drainage (MLD), and it’s a modality with a growing body of evidence demonstrating its efficacy.
Pages of Contents
What is MLD?
MLD is a gentle, slow type of massage that utilizes very light pressure and regularly longer strokes to stimulate the entire lymphatic system. This system is responsible for transporting lymph—a clear fluid that contains white blood cells—around the body. Because MLD helps move lymph throughout the body, it can be used to treat a variety of lymphatic drainage massage South Boston conditions, including lymphedema (swelling due to buildup of lymph fluid), sinusitis, migraines, and even cellulite!
Benefits Of MLD Massages
- MLD has been shown to be an effective treatment for chronic sinusitis. In a 2017 study published in the International Journal of Otolaryngology, researchers found that MLD significantly improved symptoms in patients with chronic sinusitis, including nasal congestion and facial pain. Another study published in 2018 found that MLD reduced symptoms in patients with acute sinusitis as well.
- MLD has also been shown to be an effective treatment for migraines and tension headaches. In a small study published in Neurology in 2009, researchers found that patients who received MLD experienced significantly fewer migraines than those who did not receive MLD. Another study published in 2012 found that MLD was an effective treatment for tension headaches, providing immediate relief for some patients and reducing the frequency and intensity of headaches over time for others.
- In addition to its effects on migraines and tension headaches, MLD has also been shown to be an effective treatment for cellulite. In a 2013 study, researchers found that after eight weeks of weekly MLD treatments, patients had significantly less cellulite than they did at the start of the study.
- MLD also has a variety of other potential benefits, including reducing anxiety and improving sleep quality. If you’re looking for a way to improve your overall health and well-being, consider getting a manual lymphatic drainage massage. With its many potential benefits, it just might be the best decision you ever make!
- MLD also reduces anxiety and helps improve sleep quality. If you are looking for a way to improve your overall health and well-being, consider getting a manual lymphatic drainage massage.
- You can also think more clearly after an MLD massage and feel more relaxed. MLD can also help improve your skin’s appearance by giving it a more even tone and a healthy glow.
- Moreover, MLD massages help to get rid of toxins from your body. The lymphatic system does not have a pump, so it relies on muscles and breathing to move the lymph through the body and filter out toxins.
- An MLD massage can last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the area being treated. The therapist will use light pressure and slow, rhythmic strokes. You may feel a bit uncomfortable during the massage, but you should not feel pain.
- Lastly, MLD is a great way to reduce stress. It can help you relax and feel more rejuvenated. Consider receiving a manual lymphatic drainage massage if you’re seeking for a way to enhance your general health and wellbeing.
As you can see, there are many potential benefits to getting an MLD massage. If you’re interested in trying this modality, be sure to find a therapist who is certified in Lymphedema Therapy by the Academy of Lymphatic Studies or by another credentialing organization. Schedule a consultation with the therapist to discuss your specific needs and concerns, and then enjoy the relaxing – and potentially health-boosting! – effects of this wonderful modality.